**UPDATE 6 October 2018 – SALT 13 is FULLY BOOKED**
Please email us if you wish to be added to the waiting list
SALT 13 will take place 7-9 June 2019, and like previous to
urs will include visits to Cold War sites, other points of interest and real classic vehicle touring.
The SALT tours remain the UK’s only classic vehicle touring events aimed squarely at Cold War era vehicles from both the Eastern Bloc and NATO countries.
We last visited Suffolk on SALT 2 in 2008 so a return visit is well overdue. SALT 13 will be based to the historic Suffolk riverside town of Woodbridge.
Our annual SALT tours has become firmly established a three day event. Our weekend of touring B roads and country lanes starts with a Friday tour, a full day on Saturday and we’ll finish with a late lunch on Sunday. East Anglia was a hotbed of Cold War activity so we have plenty of sites to choose to visit.
Bawdsey Radar Museum has recently undergone a £1.8m restoration and redevelopment to tell the story of the first fully operational Radar station in the world.
- Tourists will have a have a private three hour tractor and trailer tour of Orford Ness. We will visit the site of Cobra Mist, the 1960s over-the -horizon backscatter radar installation to the north of the Ness. The tour will also take us south to the Atomic Weapons Research Establishment (AWRE) to visit Laboratory 1 and the ominous looking ‘Pagoda’ test labs.
- On Friday evening Tourists will be encouraged to make the short drive to the coastal town of Aldeburgh for traditional seaside fish and chips before returning to the bar at HQ.
Saturday – Tourists will cross the border into Norfolk for a private tour of former RAF Barnham. The day will be rounded off with our famous Gala Dinner followed by an after dinner talk from a specially invited guest.
- During the 1950s and 60s Barnham Nuclear Storage Site (NSS) was designated as a high-security storage facility for nuclear weapons, specifically the Blue Danube free fall nuclear bomb. The storage site was built to house the Blue Danube away from the V-Bomber bases as well as holding the ‘second strike’ stock should nuclear war break out.
- Before sitting down to our formal Gala Dinner (smart dress or period costumes encouraged) Tourists will gather for a commemorative group photograph. Between courses the Commissariat will announce the winners of a host of SALT trophies.
- Since SALT started we have always used relevant sections of Soviet military maps of the UK as part of our designs for each tour. We are delighted to have as our after dinner speaker, John Davies, one of the authors of The Red Atlas – How the Soviet Union Secretly Mapped the World.
Sunday – We will tour to the Bentwaters Cold War Museum and have a walking tour of some of the restricted areas that aren’t usually open to the public.
The Cold War Museum is housed in the hardened wing command post and gives a fascinating insight into the workings of the base during the Cold War complete with recreations of the Battle Cab and Ops Room. Tourists will have a guided walking tour ‘beyond the wire’ to visit some of the other key Cold War buildings on the base.
- SALT 13 will finish with a late Sunday lunch at a nearby pub.
The Entry Fee for SALT 13 is just £60 per vehicle for a driver and passenger, which covers routebooks, rally plaque and goodie bag. Extra passengers cost £10 per person.
Entrance fees to the attractions are payable by individuals on the day and we will advise in in the new year how much these will be. However current costs for the exclusive tours Orford Ness are £22pp (£16 NT members) and £15pp for Bentwaters.
The Gala Dinner is included in the Saturday room rate, the menu will be circulated well in advance. For Tourists not staying at HQ we will advise cost of dinner.
SALT HQ: is Ufford Park Hotel, Golf & Spa near Woodbridge. The hotel is set in 120 acres of historic parkland with golfing and spa facilities available to residents.
Double B&B £95
Single B&B £75
Double B&B £105
Single B&B £89
Double DB&B £167 (includes gala dinner for two)
Single DB&B £120 (includes gala dinner for one)
Total for two people for 3 nights including dinner £367
Total for one person for 3 nights including dinner £284
Tourists need to book directly with the Hotel on 01394 383555, quoting the ‘SALT Car Rally’ to get our special rates and ensure that you are booked into one of our allocated rooms. The rooms are reserved for us until end of January 2019, but please book as early as possible (in recent years SALT HQ was fully booked and some tourists had to find alternative accommodation).
There are a number of hotels, B&Bs and other accommodation available in nearby Woodbridge, but be aware that the Aldeburgh Music Festival will be taking place at the same time as SALT so rooms will be at a premium.
We have not arranged camping yet but believe that there may be sites nearby. If you wish to camp please contact the Commissariat as soon as possible.
Some SALT Terms and Conditions
- Due to the visits we have planned for 2019 we have very restricted numbers for SALT 13, please don’t book if you don’t think that you will be able to take part in all of the visits, there are two walking tours and tour by tractor and trailer.
- In the first instance bookings are open to past Tourists who plan to take part in Eastern Bloc vehicles or western vehicles with a bona fide Cold War heritage, after this we will open bookings to the general Easter Bloc vehicle community. Unfortunately we can’t accept bookings from drivers planning to take part in modern vehicles.
- SALT is aimed at drivers of civilian vehicles although we do usually have space for one or two military vehicles.If you plan to tour in a military vehicle please contact us first before booking.
- All bookings must be done through the SALT website. Booking does not guarantee a place until payment has been received, preferably by Paypal. If payment is not made within 21 days your booking will be cancelled and the place offered to our waiting list.
- We encourage Tourists to book their accommodation at SALT HQ as soon as possible and certainly before 31 March 2019, after which we cannot guarantee that rooms will still be available.
- If you need to cancel your booking we offer a full refund if you do so before 31 March 2019, cancellations in April 2019 will get 50% of the booking fee returned. After 1 May we may roll your booking over to the following year if we have waiting list to take your place.
- SALT operates on a break even basis on participation booking fees. We budget based on our known income, non payment or cancellation has a significant impact on the quality of the event.