SALT 14 will take place 11-13 June 2021, and like annual tours we will include visits to Cold War sites, other points of interest and real classic vehicle touring.
The SALT tours remain the UK’s only classic vehicle touring events aimed squarely at Cold War era vehicles from both the Eastern Bloc and NATO countries.
We last visited Norfolk on SALT 9 in 2015 and we have unfinished business in the area. SALT 14 will be based in the East Norfolk seaside village of Mundesley.
For 2021 we have two days of touring with scheduled group visits on the Saturday and Sunday with optional activities on the Friday. Our weekend of touring B roads and country lanes starts with a Friday tour, a full day on Saturday and we’ll finish with a late lunch on Sunday. East Anglia was a hotbed of Cold War activity so we have plenty of sites to choose to visit.
Friday – is an optional day for touring, Tourists can do their own local exploring or relax on the sandy beach but we do recommend two local attractions to visit
Caister Castle Car Collection Caister Castle near Great Yarmouth is 25 miles south of SALT HQ. It is home to the largest private collection of motor vehicles in Britain which is housed in a 35,000 sq ft purpose built museum and includes many fine and rare veteran, vintage, classic, sports and touring automobiles and motorcycles (and a Trabant!)
- City of Norwich Aviation Museum The museum is near Norwich Airport to the north of the city just 18 miles from SALT HQ. As Tourists from SALT 9 will know the museum hosts an impressive number of Cold War era aircraft.
- On Friday evening Tourists will be encouraged to make the short drive to the coastal town of Cromer for traditional seaside fish and chips before returning to the bar at HQ.
Saturday – Tourists will us Tulip route books to tour to two important sites of Norfolk aviation history. The day will be rounded off with our famous Gala Dinner followed by an after dinner talk from a specially invited guest.
- In the morning we will have a private visit of the RAF Radar Defence Museum. Since we
visited on SALT 9 a new curator has re-displayed and added new sections to the collection. Volunteers, hopefully including some staff how worked at the station, will be on hand to guide and answer questions.
- In the afternoon we will head to former RAF Coltishall, we will start our tour at the the new Heritage Centre which is due to open in spring 2021. The site is now privately owned and not open to the public but Tourists will drive in an accompanied convoy around the base to visit some of the notable buildings and structures.
- The evening at HQ will see our Gala Dinner, as always dress code is formal and we encourage Tourists to dress in Cold War period clothes, we are particularly keen to see effort being put into civilian outfits, for some ideas check out Off The Wall. We hope to confirm a speaker soon.
Sunday – We will tour to the Muckleburgh Military Collection to view their extensive collection of tanks and armoured cars. Our vehicles will be on display for public viewing during our visit.
The Entry Fee for SALT 14 is just £60 car with driver and passenger (£10 per additional passenger) is to take part in the event only.
There will be additional cost for accommodation, Gala dinner (not included in hotel room rate) and admission costs to the visit venues.
We expect the Gala dinner to cost around £30 per head. We have negotiated group booking rates for the visits, to achieve this we have had to agree to pay for the group as a lump sum, to this end we will ask Tourists to transfer fees to the Commissariat at the latest two weeks before the event.
The Royal Hotel is a family owned with a range of room types so we don’t have a flat rate for all rooms but they have agreed to hold the prices for us at this year’s rates. They are holding a number of rooms for us until the new year but we recommend that Tourists book as early as possible (in recent years SALT HQ was fully booked and some tourists had to find alternative accommodation). Tourists need to book directly with the Hotel 01263 720096 Please mention that you are part of SALT Car Rally when you book.
Mundesley is a busy little seaside village, there is another hotel nearby along with bed and breakfasts, guest houses and a host of chalets and holiday lets.
For campers there is a caravan site in the village half an hour’s walk from HQ or a Camping and Caravan Club Hideaway site ten minutes drive away. Neither take bookings until the new year, the Hideaway site doesn’t accommodate groups but the owner is holding three plots for us.
Some SALT Terms and Conditions
- SALT 14 is a two day event with an option to attend on the Friday as well as Saturday and Sunday, however we encourage Tourists to attend for all three days if possible.
- In the first instance bookings are open to past Tourists who plan to take part in Eastern Bloc vehicles or western vehicles with a bona fide Cold War heritage, after this we will open bookings to the general Eastern Bloc vehicle community. Unfortunately we can’t accept bookings from drivers planning to take part in modern vehicles.
- SALT is aimed at drivers of civilian vehicles although we do usually have space for one or two military vehicles. If you plan to tour in a military vehicle please contact us first before booking.
- Booking does not guarantee a place until payment has been received, by Paypal or bank transfer. If payment is not made within 21 days your booking will be cancelled and the place offered to our waiting list.
- We encourage Tourists to book their accommodation at SALT HQ as soon as possible and certainly before 31 January 2021, after which we cannot guarantee that rooms will still be available.
- If you need to cancel your booking we offer a full refund if you do so before 31 December 2020, cancellations after this time will get 50% of the booking fee returned.
- If we are forced to cancel the event because of COVID related issues Tourists will get a 50% refund of their booking fee if this happens before 28 February 2021. After this date we cannot guarantee refunds.
- SALT operates on a break even basis on participation booking fees. We budget based on our known income, non payment or cancellation has a significant impact on the quality of the event.